TONIGHT'S EVENT: "bowels of noise #6"

Nachricht
Autor
Knox

#1 Beitragvon Knox » 3. Oktober 2004, 22:31

kleiner bericht aus japan

instead of using guitars and drums, 'noise musicians' use something called 'gear,' which looks like this:

Bild

or this:

Bild

but, no matter what wires go in which little boxes, it always sounds like this:

TTTTCHHHHHHHCHHHHASSSSSSSHHHHHSHHHHHEEEEEEEPPPPSHHH

the gear pictured below, is home-made. therefore (in the Noise Status Gear heirarchy) it's the coolest.

gear that is.

noise guys love saying 'gear.'
Bild
Folgen des Hambacher-Forst-Streits
Rodungsstopp bei RWE
Der Hambacher Wald darf erstmal stehenbleiben. Nach der BUND-Klage verbietet der Wirtschaftsminister von NRW den Kahlschlag bis Herbst 2018.

Knox

Re: TONIGHT'S EVENT: "bowels of noise #6"

#2 Beitragvon Knox » 3. Oktober 2004, 22:32

Bild
Below, the stage. ominous and industrial. stark. forbidding. full of painful looking machines with uncertain purposes.
Bild
first band was DEFEKTRO, the 'noise army.'
Zuletzt geändert von Knox am 3. Oktober 2004, 22:32, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Bild
Rodungsstopp bei RWE
Der Hambacher Wald darf erstmal stehenbleiben. Nach der BUND-Klage verbietet der Wirtschaftsminister von NRW den Kahlschlag bis Herbst 2018.

Knox

#3 Beitragvon Knox » 3. Oktober 2004, 22:33

this lady is playing a large metal spring with a little microphone attached to it.
Bild

t was all 'TTCHHHHHHhhhhhh...TTTCHHHHHhhhhh... GNNGNNNGNNN'

her pal is playing this home-made 'noise guitar' which consists of a slightly smaller spring with a microphone attached to it. these guys like springs because they have an eerie, reverby, complex sound with lots of harmonics on it, EVEN BEFORE YOU PUT THEM THROUGH LOTS OF EFFECTS.
Bild
Rodungsstopp bei RWE

Knox

#4 Beitragvon Knox » 3. Oktober 2004, 22:34

Bild

DEFEKTRO was kind of cheating a little though. if you look under the guy's table, you can see a little Macintosh he was all trying to hide. the Macintosh did most of the good music. mostly the humans just would hit the pedals like they were customers in Ye Olde Pedal Shoppe. all like, "what's this one do?" EEEEEEEPPPEPEPE "naw, that's not right. how about this one, what's it do?" WAAHAAAHHHHHHNNNZZZZZ "Naw, what about this one here? this one looks cool" . . .and so on for 20 minutes.

what i liked best about defektro was their logo: a dove, holding a bomb, being crushed between the gears of technology run amok. plus, he's holding a bomb.

i mean at first i was like, "Yeah, dude. THINK ABOUT IT." but then i thought about it, and decided, no, it really is that cool.
Bild
Rodungsstopp bei RWE

Knox

#5 Beitragvon Knox » 3. Oktober 2004, 22:35

Bild

even better than his jacket was his PANTS.

if they're even technically pants anymore:
Bild
jesus!! how cool are those!! his girlfriend said if i liked the way they looked, i'd simply love how they smelled. i was like, "what, do they have their own little ecosystem going on down there?" "pretty much, yeah."
Bild
Rodungsstopp bei RWE

Knox

#6 Beitragvon Knox » 3. Oktober 2004, 22:36

rock on.

next band was Kelly Churko from Canada. Kelly's performance was cool because he didn't start off with pre-made loops or distortion. he let the audience SEE the process of creating the sounds, which i'm all in favor of that. first, he took some steel wool and scratched it against come cans and ashtrays, right near the computer's microphone. and then he built this tiny teeny noise up, ever so gradually, into this monster wall of sound.

it's the opposite of the 'Ye Olde Pedal Shoppe' school of thought: not choppy at all, just very gradual and sweeping and complex waves of sound.

Bild

.. and here he is playing the guitar with said ashtray, while furiously stomping on pedals with both feet like one of the old-timey church organists playing Bach, while simultaneously playing Tetris.

Bild
Bild
Rodungsstopp bei RWE

Knox

#7 Beitragvon Knox » 3. Oktober 2004, 22:37

next band : FACIALMESS

there's something really adorable about a huge skinhead guy screaming into a tiny children's microphone. plus he's totally hammering on these little pedals the whole time. . . again, it's the "Pedal Shoppe" syndrome i guess, but it was cool because he was REALLY PISSED at the pedals. like one of them said something about his Mama, kind of pissed. all glaring at them. smacking them with his fist. all, "you want some more of this??" at one point he had a cheese grater with a microphone on it, taped to what looked like a pump-shotgun handle.

Bild

fourth band: BASTARD NOISE

bill had the lights down low for his set because he wanted people to concentrate on the music. his stuff was pretty quiet and really slowly gradually developing. mostly he used this homemade drone. it was basically a Brutal Industrial version of the traditional Irish hurdy-gurdy. (in the lower right hand corner)

Bild

DATE: sunday december 21st or 23d or something

ENGRISH OF THE DAY:

SOUNDTRACK: 'scooby doo' - theme song

'i just wanna die' - pussy galore

instead of using guitars and drums, 'noise musicians' use something called 'gear,' which looks like this:

or this:

but, no matter what wires go in which little boxes, it always sounds like this:

TTTTCHHHHHHHCHHHHASSSSSSSHHHHHSHHHHHEEEEEEEPPPPSHHH

the gear pictured below, is home-made. therefore (in the Noise Status Gear heirarchy) it's the coolest.

gear that is.

noise guys love saying 'gear.'

Below, the stage. ominous and industrial. stark. forbidding. full of painful looking machines with uncertain purposes.

first band was DEFEKTRO, the 'noise army.'

this lady is playing a large metal spring with a little microphone attached to it.

it was all 'TTCHHHHHHhhhhhh...TTTCHHHHHhhhhh... GNNGNNNGNNN'

her pal is playing this home-made 'noise guitar' which consists of a slightly smaller spring with a microphone attached to it. these guys like springs because they have an eerie, reverby, complex sound with lots of harmonics on it, EVEN BEFORE YOU PUT THEM THROUGH LOTS OF EFFECTS.

more pictures of their handmade instruments are at their website.

DEFEKTRO was kind of cheating a little though. if you look under the guy's table, you can see a little Macintosh he was all trying to hide. the Macintosh did most of the good music. mostly the humans just would hit the pedals like they were customers in Ye Olde Pedal Shoppe. all like, "what's this one do?" EEEEEEEPPPEPEPE "naw, that's not right. how about this one, what's it do?" WAAHAAAHHHHHHNNNZZZZZ "Naw, what about this one here? this one looks cool" . . .and so on for 20 minutes.

what i liked best about defektro was their logo: a dove, holding a bomb, being crushed between the gears of technology run amok. plus, he's holding a bomb.

i mean at first i was like, "Yeah, dude. THINK ABOUT IT." but then i thought about it, and decided, no, it really is that cool.

even better than his jacket was his PANTS.

if they're even technically pants anymore:

jesus!! how cool are those!! his girlfriend said if i liked the way they looked, i'd simply love how they smelled. i was like, "what, do they have their own little ecosystem going on down there?" "pretty much, yeah."

rock on.

next band was Kelly Churko from Canada. Kelly's performance was cool because he didn't start off with pre-made loops or distortion. he let the audience SEE the process of creating the sounds, which i'm all in favor of that. first, he took some steel wool and scratched it against come cans and ashtrays, right near the computer's microphone. and then he built this tiny teeny noise up, ever so gradually, into this monster wall of sound.

it's the opposite of the 'Ye Olde Pedal Shoppe' school of thought: not choppy at all, just very gradual and sweeping and complex waves of sound.

... and here he is playing the guitar with said ashtray, while furiously stomping on pedals with both feet like one of the old-timey church organists playing Bach, while simultaneously playing Tetris.

next band : FACIALMESS

there's something really adorable about a huge skinhead guy screaming into a tiny children's microphone. plus he's totally hammering on these little pedals the whole time. . . again, it's the "Pedal Shoppe" syndrome i guess, but it was cool because he was REALLY PISSED at the pedals. like one of them said something about his Mama, kind of pissed. all glaring at them. smacking them with his fist. all, "you want some more of this??" at one point he had a cheese grater with a microphone on it, taped to what looked like a pump-shotgun handle.

fourth band: BASTARD NOISE

bill had the lights down low for his set because he wanted people to concentrate on the music. his stuff was pretty quiet and really slowly gradually developing. mostly he used this homemade drone. it was basically a Brutal Industrial version of the traditional Irish hurdy-gurdy. (in the lower right hand corner)

this tiny and simple device produced a marvelously diverse and complex set of hums, but they all have the same eerie creaking droning thing happening, which makes his whole set hang together quite nicely.
Bild

over the hurdy-gurdy, he's playing some home-made analog synths (by which i mean, 'gear'). the synths are kind of like 'KEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEEKEKEKEKEKE' but sometimes they make these long echoing swoops which i prefer. his shit is so old-school he's got vacume tubes all up in it. and what's even cooler is, HE'S COLD PLAYING
Bild
Rodungsstopp bei RWE

Knox

#8 Beitragvon Knox » 3. Oktober 2004, 22:38

THE TUBES. all toggling them back and forth in their little sockets.

Bild

plus, 'IRISH recording tape' . i have no idea what that even means.

fifth band: CONTROL

Control is this kind of hot rod greaser looking guy who is also super modern primitive burning man to the extreme sort of Amok / Re:search kind of textbook industrial guy.

out of all the bands, his music was actually the most accessible. it was more like slow, rhythmic, metal-on-metal crashing, which looped over and over, with spooky buzzing and horror movie sound effects over it. i really liked it actually. but at the same time, it's got that old problem of, "well, yeah, i can push 'play' on my expensive ass sequencer too, so can i be in your band?"

not to single the guy out for abuse though. that's the kind of listen-to-it-in-your-room-vs.-perform-it-live issue which no one has really found an elegant solution to.

Bild

he also would sing, thusly:

Bild

the lady who's all up in his armpit looked EXACTLY like a japanese Joan Jett Circa 1984. a random look in ANY venue, let alone a noise show. but these noise shows bring together a very ecclectic batch of people: 'extreme music' guys that are all freaky looking, plus Art People, super-nerdy guys into anything obscure, some salariman guy in a suit, and what i could swear was a vintage Mod guy, just hanging out for no reason, like he was waiting for the Jam to start setting up. awesome! there was even some total freak with a hot pink Grandma's-Going-Jogging-To-Target, Do-You-Kids-Want-Anything kind of jumpsuit for christ's sake. oh wait, that was me.
Bild
Rodungsstopp bei RWE

Zurück zu „Equipment“